Club History

Rotary Club of Cheshire, CT

 

The Rotary Club of Cheshire was chartered October 29, 1939 and was numbered "Club #5128." It is now #6714 and is part of Rotary District 7980.

It is estimated that as of January 1, 2004, 467 different persons have been members ofthe Cheshire club. For more than forty years the Club met at the Waverly Inn.

Chartered with 15 members, the club grew to 65 during the Presidencies of Richard J. Ulbrich and Kenneth W. Hall, 1973-1975. Our club represents a mix of men and women and has since the early 1980's.

Three Cheshire Rotarians have served as District Governors: 1959-60 Arnold H. Schroeder; 1970-71, Richard H. Miller; and 1980-81, Bernhardt W. Erk, Jr.

Funds are raised generally through two well established annual public events. A Fall Rose Sale by delivering pre sold boxed, cut roses and a morning Pancake Breakfast at Cheshire High School, which has been going on for 40+ years. Occasional other fund raisers are tackled for the benefit of "special events."

 Since 1989 the Rotary Club has contributed more than $40,000 to the "Polio-Plus"  Rotary International eradication of polio project.  Since 1975  the club has recognized the "William E. Grove II Memorial Firefighter of the Year" award in a collaborative effort with the Cheshire Volunteer Fire Department.

We support a High School Senior Scholarship program-- at the rate of two to four scholarships/year-- has awarded, according to the club's figures, 167+ scholarships to Cheshire students.

Since 1981 the Birthday Book program, in conjunction with the Cheshire  Public Library, has purchased and donated to the Library some 750 books in recognition Rotarian birthdays.  The Cheshire Rotary also donated the funds for the iPads for Education in the Children's room of the Cheshire Library

Contributions support to many agencies include:  Cheshire Food Bank, Cheshire Human Services, Boy Scouts of America, and Cheshire Senior Center.

INTERESTED IN JOINING ROTARY?  Please contact us